15 years ago everything was normal.
I was a regular teenage girl,
but something happened one Halloween -
a friend of mine died.
From that moment on
everything changed,
I saw the world in a different light.

For a while I couldn't sleep
I couldn't be alone
I couldn't be in the dark.
All I could see was his face
moments after we found him.
It was like 
I was being haunted 
by a ghost.

Is it true what they say?
That time heals all wounds?
Slowly I did heal
little by little
My heart was back together 
but I would never be the same.

Some years I'm OK.
Halloween breezes by
and I don't even notice.
But some years,
you haunt me.
I can't turn around 
I can't look at a calendar
I can't walk by Halloween decorations 
without seeing your face.

Why did this happen?
You were too young
and so was I.
And sometimes,
when no one is around...
I still cry.

But then I wipe away my tears
and I remember the good things.
I remember your smile
your silly jokes,
the way the teachers always sat us together
and I groaned 
but still helped you with your homework.

Mostly I remember that day
when I said something awful to you.
I didn't know why
but I knew I had to apologize.
You accepted it gracefully
with that smile
 and a few days later 
you were gone.

I'm so glad I had a chance
to tell you I was sorry.
I wish I could have said more.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Trial of Humiliation

Perseverance

The Ocean